Thursday, October 30, 2008

Bishop to Red Rocks to Vegas to Bisho

We pulled into Bishop a while ago, climbed the Happies, and then
camped in the Buttermilks that night. The next morning we woke up to
the most amazing landscape I have ever seen. Hunter is planning on
moving here, and I'm just not planning on leaving. I woke up with the
sunrise, made a cup of coffee and walked five minutes to incredible
lines. Classic lines. Evilution. Foot Prints. Center Direct. High
Plains Drifter. Soul Slinger. The Mandala! I warmed up on an
incredible arête on the Green Wall, a wall of perfect glassy patina. I
talked with other early bird climbers and enjoyed some mellow problems
and traverses. I was stoked to see Hunter, Paul and Josh (a fellow
Alaskan we picked up in bishop) come over the hill and we cruised up
to Iron Man Traverse, a classic Bishop problem (picture below). The
next day we drove to pick up Rob in Vegas. The next day we climbed two
four pitch climbs at red rocks: alotta balls and trihardral. Rob, on
lead (trad climbing), pulled off the craziest and boldest sequence I
have ever seen in my life! In a chimney too wide to span with your
arms, two pitches up faced outward into the void. He stemmed up
precariously and with no hands, lunged for a jug on a corner outside
of the chimney! It is easier to explain with the motions, but it blew
my mind. Following it was the most scared I have ever been. The next
day we headed into the black corridor to sport climb. Hunter simply
destroyed everything he got on. It was incredible! Now we are back in
Bishop pebble wrestling, getting stoked on mini projects and climbing!

No comments: